Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Memories of Watergate (1973)-- my favorite year

The year 1973 was a big one for me. I moved from New York to this little-known city of Austin, Texas. Willie Nelson helped set the positive tone for the city on his mission to bring Cowboys and Hippies together in a spirit of peace and friendship.

The term for cowboys was actually Rednecks. As for hippies, I'm sure we had our share of insults from more traditional Texans but we found our place in Austin, a town know for liberalism and open mindedness. The University of Texas brought intellectual fervor and the State Capitol was the other big game in town. Jobs were scarce and salaries were low. But you could live in central Austin on a waiter's wages.

Before I became a waiter I worked briefly as a carpenter's helper on a construction site called Timbercreek Apartments. The project still exists on South 1st Street across from the Texas School for the Deaf.

Several notable details about the spring of 1973. We actually had a fair number of white guys working on the job--  hippie carpenters and assorted locals. Home building now dominated by Hispanic guys-- was more integrated in those days. At lunch break we would listen to the radio for Watergate reports and eat homemade sandwiches with bean sprouts and whole wheat bread. No cellphones, no GrubHub.

Watergate caused some consternation but hysteria levels were not at the fever pitch of today's battles between Left and Right. I don't even recall the political opinions being expressed during lunch break. Being a New York liberal made me slightly wary of expressing radical viewpoints except with my close friends.

Austin, Texas had a laid back friendliness that holds more memories any opinions being expressed. Democrats actually held elective office in the state. The Hispanic influence on Texas added a feeling of diversity. Border crossing happened relatively easily. The laissez-faire and relative ease for going back and forth to Mexico impressed me. "How cool to border another country," I thought.

At day's end the hippie carpenters descended on nearby Armadillo World Headquarters. Jim Franklin created the Armadillo concept, the well-armored little beasts were a symbol of the counter culture. I marveled at Texas carpenters' talent for working hard and then consuming massive amounts of beer along with marijuana-- in quantities unrivaled on the East Coast.

Texas was a new world. After stepping on some nails and busting some knuckles and fingernails I quickly surmised my lack of talent for carpentry.

Watergate discussions on MSNBC reminded me of that very important year.


No comments:

Post a Comment